Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Farrell Rob Farrell is offline

Default Repainting tired kitchen doors - how best to do this?

"Clive" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm going to give my Mum's kitchen a bit of a "lift". The units are
fine, the doors are dated, the worktop is knackered.

I am having the worktops fitted by someone who has done it for me
before and he did it beautifully with great joints.

I am going to have a go at painting the doors. The doors are, say,
20 years old, only one is swelling. The doors have a chipboard /
fibreboard core with a "plastic" laminate coating. My approach is /
might be:

It will look crap with big brush strokes and parts swelling. Even with a
roller it will look terrible, like some cowboy has been at it.

I think £35 per door from online stores for MDF blanks is criminal
when moisture resistant MDF is about £25 per 8 x 4 and I can have each
door cut for £1. I am not going the MDF replacement route because of
the possible tricky issue of cutting the holes for the hinges.

So why mention it? Also why offer to do half a job rather than a proper
job. It will only have to be done again, so the money wasted on fixing what
you do could have been used to do it properly.