Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Repainting tired kitchen doors - how best to do this?

Clive wrote:
Load of snips
I'm going to give my Mum's kitchen a bit of a "lift". The units are
fine, the doors are dated, ....
I am going to have a go at painting the doors. The doors are, say,
20 years old, only one is swelling. The doors have a chipboard /
fibreboard core with a "plastic" laminate coating. My approach is /
might be:..........
The reason for painting the doors is not just cost because
the painting will take time but that the wall cabinet doors are old
and very long and there isn't a modern equivalent of this size.

I think £35 per door from online stores for MDF blanks is criminal
when moisture resistant MDF is about £25 per 8 x 4 and I can have each
door cut for £1.

Dont even try to paint them, they'll look bloody awful - they'll be fine
for your Mum if she likes to think of what her kitchen looked like in
the 60's and 70's.
Have a look at the Screwfix door prices - £10 ish, no matter what colour
they are, it'll be better than painting existing doors. Measure your
existing ones and see if any of the range will fit. If you have to add a
small section to the bottom, it could be blended in quite easily, and
the finish will still be better than painting old doors.
How many units? At £40/unit from Screwfix, it may pay to replace all of
them if you are having new worktops fitted.
It's your Mum, you know you should make the effort!
Alan.