Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default Ground Wire Laying On Dirt

David Martel wrote:
John,

You've been cheated. That outlet is not safely or correctly grounded if
you description is correct. Ask the "electrician" when he's going to install
the grounding rod. Bare wire is ok, not having a grounding rod isn't. A
little dirt thrown around a wire does not make a ground. 8 ft. of grounding
rod pounded into the ground is the usual way.

Dave M

I think there may be some confusion here about the wire in the dirt
"being the ground." To be clear, the wire ends up on a clamp that is
affixed to the water pipe. My concern was with the wire being directly
on dirt (not that just putting wire in dirt would ground something).

OK, just re-read your answer and you said the bare wire was ok. So you
are not against the wire laying on dirt, but are only opposed to where
it is connected? Just to make sure, suppose he drove in a ground rod
at the other end of the house and ran the ground wire on the ground
under the house with just some dirt thrown on it. Would that be OK
with you?