Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomarse Thomarse is offline

Default Smoothing an old wall

Hi,

I have some walls in my house that I have stripped wood chip wall
paper from. Where the paper has been stripped, some of the paint that
was on the wall has come away, and so I am left with a "patchy
wall"... this is not too bumpy, but where the paint patches have come
away, if painted back on top then these areas will still show through.

In other rooms in the house I have used a thick basecoat which said it
was designed to smooth walls, but it didnt hide these patches. Luckily
these other rooms don't get too much glaring direct sunlight and so
the patches dont show up.

In this room however these patches will show up in daylight.

Ideally I'd like to get a smooth wall.. however, I do not want to re-
skim the wall due to expense and the fact that I have tried the odd
bit of plastering myself and the results left much to be desired!

So my options a

Artex... A very fine watered down mix so that the pattern is hardly
noticable but enough to deflect teh light and hide the patches..

5 or more coats of basecoat.. although I think I will still see the
patches?

Watered down mix of plasterboard jointing compound rollered on and
smoothed over...

Any advice? Has anyone else done anything similar? Liek I said, I
can't plaster and so skimming isnt an option but I think possibly the
compound could be, but I'm not sure how well I could smooth it?

Thanks