Posted to uk.d-i-y
FKruger FKruger is offline

Default Faux Stone Lintel

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:19:34 GMT, "Ian G"
wrote:

We live in a 1920's semi with painted stone lintels. A 1960's extension was
built with window openings constructed using catnic lintels and stretcher
bond brickwork above. 3 courses of brickwork have been painted above the
windows, prior to our occupation of the property, in an attempt to simulate
the aforementioned stone lintels of the original building..We would like to
improve the appearance of the windows in the extension, as it looks so
obviously a bodge with brick coursing very evident under the paint. Posting
here for ideas of possible materials/ techniques.
Considered so far.....
Don't want to remove bricks and replace with stone. 5 windows and a door to
do
Render over the bricks ? What kind of mix might bond well when applied as a
very thin layer? Anything work in the same way as floor levelling compound?
Fibre-glass mat & car body filler? Would standard resins bond to brickwork ?
Metal mesh secured to brickwork and rendered over ? Possibly the increased
thickness would look out of place?

Suggestions invited
Thanks
Ian

Maybe try Artex type textured coating. Experiment on somewhere not
visable to see whether you can get the stone texture.