Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] justalurker@gmail.com is offline

Default Septic tanks and water softener options

On Sep 2, 7:11 am, Javier wrote:
Greetings,

I've a septic tank, and fairly hard water. It's my understanding that
the discharge from the cleaning cycle of a water softener is is damaging
to septic tanks (or rather, the bacterial colonies, as well as the
vegetation growing on the leach field).

What are the options for softening the water for the entire house in
this case?

Thanks!

I have water that is between 26 and 30g hardness and I have a septic
system. I've read many studies that tried to determine if the effluent
(waste) that is the result of regeneration of a water softener causes
damage to septic systems. None of the studies that I found and read
concluded that the waste harmed the septic tank or the septic process
with softeners using either NaCl or KCl.

Some localities mandate that the drain from a softener must not be
routed to a sewer line or a septic system but rather to a seperate
french style drain. A properly sized and set up single resin tank
softener should regenerate every 7 or 8 days. If your softener is
regenerating more often then it is undersized and wasting salt and
water.

Twin resin tank softeners may regenerate more often