Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default B&S Engine Stalling

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a lawn mower (which I found on the curb) that runs OK for a few
minutes sometimes longer, but inevitably stalls, needs to be re-
primed, and re-started. (But will restart with no wait.) When it dies,
and I go to re-prime it, you can hear and feel that the primer bulb
sucking air at first, turning to a more reasonable fuel sucking sound/
feel at times (or after a few tries).

When I got it I replaced the spark plug, changed out the oil twice,
cleaned out the carb, replaced the fuel line, replaced the needle
valve and a badly deteriorated seat, and put the thing back together.
There seemed to have been some water in the engine, as the first
change of oil was very cloudy. It is a 4.5 hp Briggs and Stratton
12H800, in a Murray 204210X8B.

Not sure where the primer is pulling air from, why it is stalling, or
how to fix the issue (cheaply). Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Lossen the gas cap a couple turns, and see if the problem goes away. If so, the
vent on the gas cap is not working right.

Bob