Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Ever have projects you don't like?

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 07:30:10 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

Sort of an "Arch & Charlie" question...

I threw a small branch on the lathe a few days ago, thinking that depending on
what was under the bark, it would be a small goblet or a couple of lidded
boxes..

It sort of evolved into a vase, after removing bark, soft spots, etc...
The point is, it was a shape/design that I didn't care for and was going to
require a lot of defining and sanding..

I hated it, my wife thought it was "cute".. (2 words all married guys fear are
Cute and Sale)

I really wanted to delegate it to the firewood pile, but got stubborn and
decided to drive on and finish it...
As it progresses, I find myself finding reasons not to work on it and maybe do a
few pens on the other lathe..
I am torn between equal forces: Hurry it and get the damn thing done, or take my
time and do it right... even though I don't like it or feel like working on it..

I've had this happen a few times before, with mixed results on the finished
piece....
Anyone else have the "piece from hell" occurrence?

Sure- and not just on the lathe, either. When it happens, I've just
begun getting rid of them, or else they sit there and take up room and
get me angry every time I see them. Since I'm doing this as a hobby,
with only occasional profitable sales thrown in the mix, I can't see
spending too much time on something I don't want to do. Especially
when things get busy at work, and I have limited shop time.