Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.appalachian
goaway goaway is offline

Default Chinese particleboard is bad stuff, boys

Never felt a need to use particle board. It has NO redeeming values. It
heavy, it fails easily, it sags with any moisture content, can not burn the
scraps and the bigest fairtail of them all ==== truely usless for
countertops that you want to truley last... Always have and always will use
plywood for my projects. And to those who say "but it's cheep" yes for the
first time something is built, but when it needs to be rebuilt because it
warped or ballooned up when it got moisture in it, no so cheep. And tell me
how long to the blades in your saw last cuting that garbage???? Any garbage
they sweep off the floor at these factories ends up in the "Particle board".
Ever notice how they NEVER call it wood particle board, just particle
board.......

Buy crap, get crap

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
Speeking of the Chinese.... yew no I just did some research on building
cabinets and see that most all std cabinets are at least partly made of
particleboard.

Well, scents I know that some formaldehyde and so on leaks out of
particleboard, I snooped around to see how to use it and turns out you can
seal it up perty good with shellac, etc., and the gases will be shet up
inside.

Whilest doing high level research on this, (here's where you boys come in) I
found out that them rotten Chinese are dumping high-formaldehyde-content
particleboard onto us fine US folks. Imagine that!? And after all the
Chinese food we eat, too!!

According to a top secret mole I got at the guvmint sweat shop, this is on
account of they was palming it off on the Germuns and the Japunees when
those countries wised up and passed laws against it.

-So, back to my story, they are dumping it cheap hand-over-fist on us to git
shed of it before a 2011 deadline takes effect that wood stop it dead its
tracks. But by then, all their bad particleboard will have bin sold here
and installed in shelves and kitchens. If you want to check it yoreself,
don't call EPA - they just give you a bunch of hooey. Call your states
indoor air quality folks - this could be in the environmental or air quality
dep or in the health dept.

This ain't jest another of my wild self-serving rumors - hit's die-rectly
from a feller in gubmint, which, as we all know, never lies and is always
right.

The US-made stuff is stamped with an Amer National Stds Institoot no
A208.1 - 1993 which means they are in compliance with a 13 year old
standard, which ain't bad but it's still 13 years old and way behind the
findings of field testing.

As far as I can tell, they ain't required to label it "WARNING: MADE IN
CHINA WITH HIGH LEVELS OF CANCER CAUSING CHEMICALS JEST A WAITING FOR YEW TO
BREATHE IT IN!" so you have to look at it perty close.

So... this does have a climax (sorry ladies)....

If you are building shelves or anything for inside yore house, be sure to
seal any un-laminated particleboard with shellac or some other good sealer.
I like shellac cause it dries quick and is alcohol based, so you don't have
that nice lingering solvent smell in the house ad nauseum.

Welp! That's the word on the street boys.

Guv Bob
"Buy American - if yew kin find it!!"