Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Motion Detecting Lights in Bathrooms - Code??

In article .com,
wrote:

Energy saving code reqt would be my guess too. They want to ban the
incandescent bulb in CA too. I'm trying a few of those CFL flood
type bulbs that are supposed to be so great myself. So far, I'm not
impressed. They take about 2 mins to reach any reasonable
brightness. I put two in about two months ago, and one just went out
already. 4X Life? I don't think so!

The other thing is the mercury. While I admit that each one is small,
DOE says 55 millions light bulbs are sold PER day in the US. My
calculator doesn't go high enuff to figure out yearly. If all (or even a
hefty %age are CFL, and they get thrown out into landfills, why will
that not cause problems over the years. Reminds me of the EPA calling
for the additive EBDT (IIRC) to gasoline as a oxygenator and then after
10 or 15 years pulling it from the market and calling for Superfund type
clean-ups after it became carcinogenic.