Posted to alt.home.repair
alex alex is offline

Default How to replace shelves in kitchen cabinets.

Hi,

thanks for all the info but I should have been more exact. The shelves
are free and mounted on shelf pins. You know the shelf support type
that fit into a little hole.

So I could cut the shelves and get them out but I can't see how to get
new shelves in there because of their length. That's the problem.

Do cabinet makers generally put shelves in before the back in screwed
in?

Thanks

Alex

On Sep 3, 4:27 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
"alex" wrote in message

oups.com... Hi,

In my house the kitchen cabinets are fine but the shelves are sagging.
I can't see how the shelves were installed into the cabinets as they
are too large to fit through the doors.

All I can think is that the shelves were added before the backs of the
cabinets were screwed on.

Has anyone faced this problem before and have a suggestion on how I
can replace the shelves on these kitchen cabinets?

More likely, the shelves went in before the front frames went on. What is
the body of the cabinet made of, and how old are they? If these are typical
modern chipboard crap (printed woodgrain over particle board), the shelves
probably can't be replaced in any practical manner, since the whole thing is
basically glued together. You could try screwing cleats to the sides, and
piecing in the shelves using strips of suitable wood maybe 8" wide.

I'd only sink money and time into an attempted repair if the boxes
themselves were real wood in good condition. Otherwise, I'd cut some pieces
of dowel rod to jam-fit in there to prop up the sags, and start saving up
for new cabinets.

aem sends...