Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default House on hill, falling retainer wall...

wrote:
The wall is cinderblock. I will not be able to use the driveway while
being worked on but there is no real need to use it.
I think if the wall collapses or is removed the concrete drivewai is a
goner. Under the driveway there must be regular dirt.
The neighbors house is not in jeopardy, it is at least 50 feet away. I
will call my insurance company for advise. I will also call a few
retianer / foundation companies in my yellow pages.

Sell the propery now and escape?

That would seem radical solution, and it's likely a potential buyer
would either make the sale conditional on the repair or ask for a
sizable allowance for the repair if not.

A block wall may as well count on being taken down and something more
substantially built put in it's place if it's already as far gone as you
say. It probably didn't have any lateral support added when it was
built and with little structural strength in that direction, pulling it
back into place isn't likely to be a practical solution.

It would be quite unusual for the driveway to actually fail immediately
even if the wall were removed. It should be too difficult for somebody
to pour a decent footing if the existing one isn't sufficient and either
pour a wall or build a substantial one from rock or other material...