Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default using "dimmer" in AC motor control

"les" wrote in message
Hello.....
I was just at Home Depot trying looking for a quick fix
to a problem.
I need to slow down an AC fan motor (measured at 2.3 A full
speed/ 120V.) I was finding all ceiling fan controls are rated at
1.5 A. max. But then I found in the back some other lighting
controllers that were unusual. One was for low-voltage magnetic
and the other electronic transformer types. It connects to the AC
mains, and the magnetic load is downstream.
It seems to me that this controller rated at 5 A. might fit the bill.
Since the inductance/reactance is designed into device, why couldn't
it work....? The motor type...don't know. However, it doesn't
use a starting cap.
Comments please......Thank you.

My comments ... triac phase angle control circuits are good with resistive
loads but not good with most motors ... unless they are
brush/commutaor-types, or so-called universal motors. Fan motors are seldom
brush types.