Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Small AC VFD?

According to steamer :
--Looking for a variable frequency drive, A/C but I don't need a
huge one. The application is to drive something other than a huge motor (I'm
fooling around with frequency-controlled color change of electroluminescent
wire) so something that can drive a small motor is all I need. Anyone got a
recommendation?

Well ... Mitsubishi has a tiny one (single hand holdable) which
will run from 120 VAC single phase, and produce 240 VAC three phase to
drive a 1/8 HP motor.

But part of the question is -- what range of frequencies do you
need? I got this one hoping to use it to drive some aircraft
gyrocompass and artificial horizon devices -- but discovered that unlike
the larger ones, which would go up beyond 400 Hz, this one would only go
to something like 120 Hz. I'm still looking for a three-phase motor of
the 1/8 to 1/4 HP range to drive from it, to hang on the Taig lathe.

Back when I got mine, it was from eBay at a price of around
$45.00 IIRC.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564