Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default T + E How is it measured?

Clive George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Am I right in assuming that when T + E cable is referred to as 2.5mm
that is the diameter of the bare conductor?

Bugger me.

I'd rather not, if its all the same to you :-)

You're one of the last people I'd expect to be asking that
question. Surely you've seen enough 2.5 T+E over the past few years,
even if you're not doing electrical bits, for the answer to be
obvious?

Indeed I have, but I hadn't ever thought of it before.

(area, as Colin said, coz that's the relevant bit for
resistance/current carrying capacity)

Obvious now I think about it.

I was just after a quick rule of thumb guide so I could measure to outside
of the insulation & tell if it was 4mm or 6mm without having to disconnect
things & get a vernier out. 2.5mm was just used as an example.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman