Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave H. Dave H. is offline

Default LV Halogens

meow2222 wrote...
elziko wrote:
1) Is the only reason you'd use a toroidal transformer to be able to use

dimmer?

Toroids should not be on dimmers. The advantage of toroidal is
reliability. Other than that they have nothing but downsides.

Not strictly true, in a lot of situations the reduced stray magnetic field
is a big advantage (I make music in my loft, last thing I want is hum picked
up on the signal cables), they're a lot quieter acoustically (ditto for
noise picked up by microphones), not suffering from the magnetostrictive
vibration like traditional E-I core transformers, and usually a little more
efficient and smaller.
The electronic "transformers" are actually switch-mode supplies, and
generate a hell of a lot more electronic noise than the trad iron-cored
ones, although they are dimmable while transformers generally kill dimmers
due to induced voltages at switchover unless the dimmer's particularly well
designed.

--
Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader