Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Roof Sagging

John J. Beltham wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:18:07 -0700, RickH
wrote:

The hardest part will be getting a new lam beam up there to sister
next to or onto the bad one. You may need to make a hole in the gable
end wall then slide it all the way into the attic, unless you are
lucky enough to have a side vent or window to go through. In either
case go full length so the beam ends sit on wall tops under verticle
studs, and that your new beam is rated for the length/weight of the
roof.

Thanks to all who responded. I found the perfect solution to the
problem. I told the realtor I did not want the house. Two days later I
found the perfect house that all I have to do is move into it. I made
an offer on it last night.

Chuckle. Sometimes walking away is the best solution- we all only get so
many years of productive life, and just like you have to learn to choose
your battles, you also have to learn to choose your projects.

There are days I wish I had walked away from this place, and gone just
slightly further into debt to buy a place without a 'to do' list. No major
problems, and the basic structure is square and solid. But all the piddly
little stuff is turning out to be more of a time and money sucker than I
planned on, and I'm finding that even simple stuff takes WAY longer than it
did when I was a kid. The brain still has the knowledge, but after 20-some
years away from hammer-swinging, the hands seem to have trouble
remembering.

With repairs and upgrades, I've already spent as much as I would have for a
fixed-up place or newer place, and could easily spend another 10-15k. But
then I would have more in the place than I could sell it for, what with the
recent market downturn.

aem sends....