Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Instant Cooling to 35deg.F

In article , wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

I see you are no longer posting about ice and water conductivities :-)

Tell me, Nick, do you *really* believe ice is a better heat transfer agent
than water?

I agree with you that a spinning can in an ice water bath will cool faster
than a spinning can in a container of cubes with no water, but you wrote

... water is a better conductor of heat than ice,

which is incorrect. Water has a 0.596 W/mC conductance, vs 2.26 for ice.

It's fun to watch you wriggle when you're wrong :-)

I'll plead guilty to imprecise use of terminology, at least. Water is a far
more efficient heat-transfer agent than ice, partly due its greater specific
heat, but largely due to its ability to remove heat by convection. You're
right that the thermal conductivity of ice is greater than that of water, but
that's not all there is to the story -- and I think you know that.

--
Regards,