Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex Alex is offline

Default Purlins and gallow brackets

Take some pictures and post the link,then we can see what is needed and the
extent of the problem.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to provide some additional support to the purlins holding up
our 1900 terraced roof. The purlin is clearly bowing in the middle as
it only has 2 diagonal supports onto a wall plate, from what we can
see nothing has been removed and has been supporting it for the past
100 years.

My carpenter father in law will help us out with provide some
additional support in the centre to stop the bow getting any worse.

The purlins are not notched into the wall, so I'd like to provide some
support/fix on the ends. Do gallow brackets exists for purlins?. Or
could I use gallow brackets and a timber shoe to overcome the timber
being at an angle due to the pitch of the roof?

thanks for any thoughts