Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calla Calla is offline

Default getting a house looked at before possibly buying it

On 3 Sep, 12:02, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

I'm afraid my experience with surveyors is that in the main they are a
waste of space. This is based on surveys of houses I have sold,
knowing what they should have spotted and didn't, and houses that I
have bought, knowing what they missed! Apparently my current house has
two Leylandii in the garden, where I'm sure I've seen Spruces, and the
original Edwardian fireplaces are, I'm told, cast aluminium depite the
fact that they attract a magnet and are actually cast iron. One
house's 'relatively new central heating boiler' was put in by me 23
years ago, and in another the fact that the back wall leaned outwards
by over 4" was totally missed on a full structural survey done for the
purchasers, but he made up for it by spotting 12" of pointing needed
on a chimney stack !

AWEM

I have no first hand experience of surveyors but I'm not at all surprised by
what you say, Andrew.

Mary

looks like this is certainly the way to go then. I would pay the
builder - my dad's a plumber so I'm used to hearing about 'customers'
trying it on.
Interesting to see nobody's said RUN AWAY!!! I've put a new kitchen
and bathroom in my current house but this stuff's out of my league and
the thought of it's making my nipsy squeak.
Thanks again.