Posted to uk.d-i-y
elziko elziko is offline

Default LV Halogens

I'm thinking of fitting some low voltage halogens in a bathroom and I have
looked a the Wiki but have a few more questions:

1) Is the only reason you'd use a toroidal transformer to be able to use a
dimmer?

2) Is the switching generally done on the high voltage side?

3) I want to have a bank of four for the main bathroom and a separate one
for above the shower. Is there a more elegant way of switching them rather
than having two separate pendants? Can you get a single pendant that will
toggle two sets of lights like this: on/on, on/off, off/on, off/off? I would
imagine it's unlikely. What about a single unit with two cords? Any other
ideas for a switch that will be in the bathroom in Zone 3? I've thought
about a wireless switch but these seem to be very expensive.

4) Since at least one of the lights will be in Zone 2, all lights are going
to be IP65. Can you get the 'eyeball' type halogens in IP65? I imagine
they'd be expensive needing a good seal.

TIA