Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

Default Monitor Trouble

Depending on how the CRT lost its vacuum, and if anything is shorting or not
inside the CRT, will determine if there will be an actual short when putting
the power on to the monitor.

Buy your description, it sounds like the CRT was damaged, and air got
inside. In this case, your monitor is considered to be, "scrapped"!

If you were able to find a CRT and replace it, you may find out the hard way
that something else may also be damaged from the fall. It does not take much
to break pieces in a monitor from being dropped.

--

Jerry G.
======

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:yTLCi.83765$Fc.59883@attbi_s21...
Hello all...

I have a Smile International CB0913DL, which is a very small color SVGA
computer monitor. The other day, it fell off the top of a mini-tower
computer case that was sitting on a concrete floor. I tried to catch it and
partially succeeded. It hit as softly as one could expect, but I thought I
heard something go "hissssss" when it landed.

It was not powered when this happened. I'm not even sure I really heard a
hissing sound, as the room air conditioning was on and it is loud. Looking
inside the monitor, I can find no sign of damage or broken glass anywhere on
the picture tube. The circuit boards are all tightly in place and everything
looks good there. All the interconnecting cables are in their sockets and I
haven't been able to find anything that was loose or intermittent by
prodding the boards with the power on.

The monitor does turn on normally and the controls respond when pressed.
I've just got no sign of a picture whatsoever, and there isn't even a flash
on the screen when turning the power off. (The monitor always flashed when
turned off before this.) The CRT heater does appear to be running. The only
trace of damage I found was a piece of case plastic that was already
cracked.

My question--if the CRT had lost its vacuum in the fall, wouldn't there have
been a show of sparks and other violent signs of failure when I powered the
monitor? Would the heater in the tube still be functional? I'd have expected
it to burn out quickly.

William