Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary Ivan Vegvary is offline

Default Cratex rubberized "grinding" wheel

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I found a 3" x 3/8 thick green (coarse) Cratex wheel at the dump. I looked
up Cratex on the web and found that they are primarily finishing wheels,
but I'm not sure where I would actually use it. Does anyone use these? If
so, what for?

They are so expensive that I've got to see why.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, this one machine shop class I took, the instructor had us use a
hand-held piece of Cratex in the lathe to polish our threads. On one of the
steels the threads always looked like they were 'torn' instead of cut.
Holding the Crates against the part, while in the lathe, made a big
difference.

Ivan Vegvary