Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default stale 2-cycle fuel

zxcvbob wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Will the
oil in old 2-cycle engine fuel hurt the oxygen sensor or catalytic
converter in my truck if I pour a gallon or two in with a full tank of
gas? (That's how I got rid of it when I had an old truck w/ a
carburetor and no converter.)

I assume the dilution is great enough that it won't be a problem.

BTW, don't try this with dirty paint thinner.

Bob

It has never hurt my '93 fuel-injected Dodge V8. As you say, the
quantity is very small assuming that the vehicle's tank is large and
close to full. If that bit of oil is going to seriously hurt anything,
what about an engine that is burning a quart of its own oil every couple
of thousand miles which wouldn't be at all unusual?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]