Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E[_2_] C & E[_2_] is offline

Default Forstner Bits

"Dave Gordon" d@p wrote in message
"Frank Drackman" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry to clog up the site with another "which is the best XX to buy"
request

snip
I am looking for a set of high quality forstner bits that will stay sharp
and cut clean holes a long time from now. Any recommendations, good or
bad?

I have two sets, both cheap and nasty. I would recommend ones that are
Titanium plated.
Of interest is the design of the cutting edge too. One of my cheap sets is
useless and will not bite into the wood, the other is a different design
and cuts very easily.
I'll go look em up tomorrow and post the name.

Hey David, I have a set from HF that are just as worthless (I bought them in
a weak moment - stupid me). Anyway, you can get a little mileage out of
that junk heap with a small file. I ran into a desperate need for a couple
of sizes and I used a small, triangular file to shapen the center cutters
and the circumfrential teeth. It got the job done and didn't even burn the
cherry!