Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default bearcat scanner memory battery life?

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
. ..

"Mike" wrote in message

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Case in point. Uniden Bearcat BC890XL's memory battery life just

couple of weeks.
I've run into situations like this with other equipment in the

past,
and there was always a "fix" or mod.
Looking everywhere that I can, I've seen no problems mentioned

with
this particular scanner.
Has anyone heard of this one, or better yet, got a mod or fix?
Lynn

I think the memory battery is a CR2032.....should measure 3 volts.

Yours
is
probably shot, as the owner's manual states the battery should retain

the
memory for 5 years. That may be stretching it some, but it should

certainly
hold for longer than 2 weeks. That's where I would check.

Yes, you're correct, it is a shot battery, but a new CR2032 (after a
battery holder was installed) only lasts a week or two. Several battery
changes and same result.
Originially, the battery was a PCB mounted, solder-in type, and for a
while, I soldered new batteries in, and then later added the battery

holder
(socket) to make it easier.
If I was only smart enough to write down the stored frequencies

before
they evaporated again, it wouldn't be so aggrivating..... sob.

Lynn

It could be quite a few things, but I'd take a look at C508, a 33uF tant
capacitor (may be leaky). It connects to ground, from the positive side of
the back up battery, through a 10K resistor (R509) and D508. C509, a .047
uF cap is in parallel with C508 also.