Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
moray moray is offline

Default Barbeque Plans

"Gerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 1, 2:06 pm, Ignoramus8581
wrote:
I thought that people make them from oil drums. I personally would not
do it. Our VFW outpost has a very nice cooker made from a large pipe,
like 24". Some even make them towable, what fun.

Grills made from oil drums last about a year in my neck of the woods
before they rot out on the bottom

That depends how you use them.
Some people put a couple inches of sand in the bottom, which helps stop the
bottom rotting out.
Others just use a bit fine mesh to hold the charcoal up, and let some air
through.
And I've even seen somebody with a bit pipe in the bottom with holes drilled
along it's length with compressed air being blown through it.

Main thing is you clean them out afterwards, and not let them stand full of
water.
But at the end of the day, they're cheap, so it's not the end of the world
if you've got to make a new one every couple of years.