Posted to uk.d-i-y
nog nog is offline

Default washing m/c hot fill inefficient given long pipe runs?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:20:22 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Si wrote:
To clear more space in our kitchen I'm moving the washing machine into
the lean-to. The lean-to already has a cold water supply.

I've always used hot and cold fill but I'm thinking that because the
gas-heated water comes from the hot water tank upstairs and is heated
by the boiler downstairs, the long pipe runs probably make this an
unnecessary & inefficient option given that modern washing machines
use so little water for the washing cycles anyway.

What do people think?

Almost all machines now are cold fill for several reasons; washing
detergents work well at lower temperatures, pipe runs are such that only
cold water in the pipe reaches the machine anyway.

Also avoids the risk of the fabrics in the load being exposed to water
temperatures beyond their recommended range.