Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default washing m/c hot fill inefficient given long pipe runs?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:40:25 +0100 someone who may be Chris Hodges
wrote this:-

I've always used hot and cold fill but I'm thinking that because the
gas-heated water comes from the hot water tank upstairs and is heated by
the boiler downstairs, the long pipe runs probably make this an
unnecessary & inefficient option given that modern washing machines use
so little water for the washing cycles anyway.

It depends on usage patterns, system design and how well insulated
the hot water pipes are.

Unless the insulations is incredible, for most runs and many usage
patterns it's irrelevant assuming the machine is reasonbly modern

Many hot water pipes are not insulated. If they are then water
remains hot for a fair time.

There is also the question of how long a dead leg there is to the
machine and how far the source of hot water is away from the
machine.

It is not as simple a question as some think.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh