Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Insulate Cathedral Ceiling

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:33:40 -0700, wrote:

I have a cathedral ceiling with no insulation. Construction is 2x6
pine tongue and groove sitting on 4x10 beams. These beams are spaced 4
feet on center. The roofing material is Cedar Shake. What I would like
to do is install 4" styrofoam sm (R20) between the beams and finish
with pine again to retain the original look. Will I encounter
condensation problems? If so what needs to be done to rectify the
problem? Thanks.

I never had one, and I'm sure there is more than one design, but my
friend has a cathedral ceiling that has a foot or two between the
inside surface and the outside surface. If you have one like that,
shouldn't the insulation be put in the inside, no need for more pine.

He went in their and did something once, but he says he's not going in
again. He's thin and healthy, and could do it just as well as before,
but I don't think he likes this kind of stuff as mmuch as many of the
people here do. And he's 63 and I think you gotta really love attics
to do this at 63.