Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pattyjamas@hotmail.com is offline

Default Will pay someone to put #12 grommet in for me...

On Sep 1, 7:40 pm, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
I have a fabric camera case I am going to use to house an XM satellite
radio.

I actually need someone (for a reasonable fee) to take 2 of the cases
I have and put 2 grommets in each case. I need the inside diameter of
the grommet to be 1 3/4 - 2 inches.
The OD total diameter needs to be 3 inches. One grommet is on the
flap of the case. The other needs to go inside the case. Therefore a
hand kit or deep throated press (perhaps can accommodate 3 inches
would work.

In looking at presses and such, it is too expensive for my one time
need.

Sure I can find a kit for 1/2 inch grommet (#4) and have used such in
past. But there is no inexpensive #12 type kit.

This is why perhaps it is better I just send someone the cases and pay
a fee of perhaps $50

Thank you
Patty
NC

It's a little hard to picture from your description what is needed. A
grommet on the flap is easy. Inside the case - how far from an edge?
Side or bottom?

I see grommet kits all the time at craft or fabric store but haven't
used them or paid attention to the intended use. I know draperies with
grommets are the rage - lots easier than sewing on stiffener and
measuring for pleats )

Here is a link to site that sells grommets:http://www.draperysewingsupplies.com...mmets_s/43.htm

What kind of fabric? MUST you use grommets, or would a stitched finish
around the openings work? Need large grommets to accommodate radio
parts/knobs or to finish an opening that is ragged?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks all. The fabric is canvas like and has 3 layers to it. Think of
knapsack material but with a cotton lining inside. Perhaps 1/32 in
thickness. I need about a 1 3/4-2 inch hole that is stitched around it
to so it is not ragged. I did some stitching myself and it did not
look so great (by hand). Went to an alteration place who recommended I
go to a shoe store. Went there and they could only cut hole in a
square shape on the flap of the camera case. They could not cut hole
in the case itself. Hole in case would be about 2 1/2 inches from
opening. I wrote a few Awning/Tent places and await reply. Good idea.

A plastic grommet would not work in this. Needs rigidity and the
plastic would not seal well on the camera case. The holes i want are
just so that I can have finger access to a few buttons on my XM Radio.

Thanks
Patty