Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Telephone troubleshooting...no dial tone.

Norminn writes:

aemeijers wrote:

Mitch@... wrote in message

Eureka. I decided to go checking each jack for shorts.
My prime suspect was the unused jack by the counter where the kids
have breakfast.

My 2-year-old must have jammed something in the jack, because when I
removed it, I immediately noticed that the 4 contects inside the jack
were all mashed together.

I disconnected it, taped up the wires, and everything works.

I got lucky on choosing that jack first!

I hope you have those kid-resistant clear plastic plugs on all the
open power outlets! Kids love to stuff things in holes, and while
the phone jack was just a PITA, the regular outlets could get
tragic. 2 years old is old enough to start reminding them that
plugging things in is a job for grownups only, whenever you see
them playing with cords, or watching you plug something in.
(No, I'm not parroting stuff from a nanny book- just remembering
stuff I did as a kid, and what got told to me years later that I
did. Kinda suprising I am still alive, and still have both eyes and
all ten fingers and toes.)
aem sends...

The original smiley face was my younger brother after he bit down on
an extension cord )

Wet thumb in empty light socket.

My older brother told me to.