Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Cratex rubberized "grinding" wheel

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I found a 3" x 3/8 thick green (coarse) Cratex wheel at the dump. I
looked up Cratex on the web and found that they are primarily finishing
wheels, but I'm not sure where I would actually use it. Does anyone use
these? If so, what for?

They are so expensive that I've got to see why.

Thanks,
Bob

I bought some cratex points for use on a dremel to assist my uncle and me
polish up some parts of a .62 cal underhammer he was making for me. He
always wanted to make one and I was keen to have another rifle made by my
uncle. So I bought materials and he built it. Stock is cherry sawed out
out a black cherry tree that used to be on grandma and grandpa's land.

Anyway, polishing up the hammer that he sawed and filed from a piece of
steel did go a bit faster using the things. None of the points were very
agressive but they did do a nice job polishing things up.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=832332

Wes