Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Electrical code question

The 1962 NEC was the first to require boxes to have a screw for the specific
purpose of attaching that ground conductor. Before that, the conductor was
often cut off, but usually turned back around the cable body and clamped
down by the cable clamp, which actually provided a pretty decent ground

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
The ground wires, if more than one, should be connected together under a
crimp or wire nut and attached to the metal box by turning under a
machine screw or by using a listed green grounding clip. What he's done
is incorrect

Incorrect by current code, but I know it was common practice from the late
50's (when romex with the bare ground wire came into comon use) at least
until the late 70's. Given how brittle old wire gets, and how seldom there
is any usable slack in the walls, is there any good reason to try to
re-wire old work to meet current practice? All the outlets in this place
were wired that way when I changed them out, and I opted not to disturb
the existing clamps beyond giving the screws a turn to make sure the
clamps were snug. All outlets show 'green light' on the idiot meter,
indicating a good ground. Note that the outlets were not pig-tailed, they
were daisy-chained via the side screws (albeit with the polarity reversed
on about half of them.)

aem sends....