Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Telephone troubleshooting...no dial tone.

Mitch@... wrote in message
Eureka. I decided to go checking each jack for shorts.
My prime suspect was the unused jack by the counter where the kids
have breakfast.

My 2-year-old must have jammed something in the jack, because when I
removed it, I immediately noticed that the 4 contects inside the jack
were all mashed together.

I disconnected it, taped up the wires, and everything works.

I got lucky on choosing that jack first!

I hope you have those kid-resistant clear plastic plugs on all the open
power outlets! Kids love to stuff things in holes, and while the phone jack
was just a PITA, the regular outlets could get tragic. 2 years old is old
enough to start reminding them that plugging things in is a job for grownups
only, whenever you see them playing with cords, or watching you plug
something in.

(No, I'm not parroting stuff from a nanny book- just remembering stuff I did
as a kid, and what got told to me years later that I did. Kinda suprising I
am still alive, and still have both eyes and all ten fingers and toes.)

aem sends...