Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Telephone troubleshooting...no dial tone.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago .. .. about this same time
of year .. .. what I found was, on an outside wall, the phone jack was
mounted with the contacts "down". Moisture had condensed on them and
caused corrosion which shorted out the contacts. Replaced the jack and
all is well again.

Mitch@... wrote:
When I got up this morning, my phones have no dial tone.

The first thing I did was look for a phone off the hook.
Then I went out to the NID, and plugged a phone into it. Works fine.
So the problem is somewhere in the wiring.

I checked the wiring at the terminals. Everything is good, solid
connections.

I went around to every jack in the house and plugged in a phone.
Nothing.

I'm at a loss. I expected to find a loose wire in the NID, but now I
don't know how to proceed.