Posted to alt.home.repair
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default Electrical code question

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article , "jmagerl"
wrote:
I live in a house that used to belong to a DIY'er. Problem is, there isn't
anything he did right. I am in the middle of fixing his mess in the
garage.
HEre is the situation: The main breaker is in the basement .it is a 20 Amp
dual breaker. THere is a subpanel in an upstairs closet (don't ask me why)

If it's a clothes closet, or linen closet, that's a Code violation.

Yes its a clothes closet. Chalk another one up to the idiot. I'm not even
sure why theres a subpanel, its an attached garage. 50 ft of wire would
reach the garage from the basement panel.

arrangement that sounds normal.

--
Regards,

A different question. Thru out this whole house, He has taken the ground
wire in the romex and bent it so it was under the box termination clamp (not
sure of the nomenclature). The assumption is that the romex clamp contacts
the ground which than contacts the box by the nut. I'm having a hard time
believing that is code. In several spots he has looped the ground wire thru
a hole in the box and then nailed the box up with the intent that the ground
wire is pinched between the box and the stud. I cringe everytime I fix
something.

On several occasions I have had to explain to trades people that the house
has been sold and I am the new owner before they would come out. It seems
the idiot had a habit of asking for quotes and then asking them lots of
questions and doing it himself. The trades people had him pegged alright.