Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Telephone troubleshooting...no dial tone.

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:13:07 GMT, Mitch@... wrote:

When I got up this morning, my phones have no dial tone.

The first thing I did was look for a phone off the hook.
Then I went out to the NID, and plugged a phone into it. Works fine.
So the problem is somewhere in the wiring.

I checked the wiring at the terminals. Everything is good, solid
connections.

I went around to every jack in the house and plugged in a phone.
Nothing.

I'm at a loss. I expected to find a loose wire in the NID, but now I
don't know how to proceed.

Don't forget that there are a lot more things than phones plugged into
the phone line these days. Modems, burglar alarms, separate bells or
lights, special electronic boxes (I have one that does redial, hold,
and memory dial for the whole house with one box.)