Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Repair Qs 50 Years from Now

Hi!

Considering how far electronics has come in just the past 50 years,
one wonders what sort of repair questions technicians of the future
will face. Stuff that's as common as beer cans now may be extinct
just a few decades down the road. Repair techniques we now take
for granted may not work on tomorrow's equipment. Think about it;
we may have to deal with bioelectronics, teletransportation equipment,
tech support between planets.

Sometimes the best answer to what the future holds is found by looking at
the past. Look at the number of people who still collect, restore and use
vintage items of every type--cars, radios, household appliances. It may take
some ingenuity, but repairs on these items are still possible. Many parts
are still easily available and those which are not can usually be made or
substituted.

I have a Zenith 6S52 console radio from 1936. I doubt that anyone in that
time imagined that this radio would still exist or be repairable...71 years
later.

Granted, today's electronics are more complex and few of them come with any
service literature as this old radio did. However, I'm sure that at the
time, the radio and its internal workings represented a mystery to the
people who owned it... Oh, and if you think the electronics of today are
complex and poorly documented...

William