Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] antsone@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default Notching Aluminum Tubing

On Aug 30, 8:39 pm, dan *5 wrote:
I need to notch some 6061 tubing for TIG welding...the diameter is
3/4" and the wall thickness is .065. I've got a drill press, so I
tried clamping the tubing to the table and tilting it to the desired
angle before attempting to notch it with a 3/4" bi-metal hole saw.
The cut is very ragged, and I'm assuming this is caused by either the
drilling speed, the lack of rigidity, or the hole saw itself. I've
got a 5 speed drill press, and it's on the slowest setting (this is
where I think it should be), and the hole saw is of the $10 variety
from Ace. Do I need to change the speed and/or the saw, or do I just
need to buy one of those jigs that attaches to my drill press, or
something else?

Dan,
I agree whole heartidly with DanG, the problem is definately because
you don't have a good enough hold of the pipe.
There are a number of pipe vices out there that you can purchase for
very little cost. I have many and if you were a little closer, you
could have one for free, they are not expensive.
Get a pipe vice, hold it securely and you will have the problem
solved.
I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Anthony.