Posted to rec.woodworking

Default more lacquer (spraying) questions

Lots of answers and the wizard has great info.

One more point: I learned from a professional sprayer that he ALWAYS
sprays lacquer by hitting each surface in both directions. So if you
are spraying a door laying on a table spray it back and forth from top
to bottom in overlapping stripes. Then move to one side of the table
and spray it again from side to side in overlapping stripes.

- This makes sure you get coverage in all the various moldings, nooks,
etc.
- This makes sure you don't miss any spots.
- This makes sure you get enough material layed down so it is thick
enough to "flow", this is the biggest need to avoid orange peel.

This forces you to use a fairly light spray or you'll put it on too
thick.

I've found it really helps and makes things nearly fool proof. Lay
down very light coats but you can come back and "wetten" it up with
that second coat and slow down just enough to lay it on wet.

Goos lighting is the key to seeing what is happening. Even outsode,
shining a bright light across the surface really helps. Pros use
"blast proof bulbs". Just be careful.

BW.

On Aug 30, 5:54 am, Renata wrote:
Seems I can get it right only by accident.

And, since I'm at a point where it needs to be perfect (doors, etc.),
I'm ba-ack (here asking questions).

Using HVLP system and a solvent based product (Magna Shield from Hood
Finishing) and got lots of orange peel. Consistent orange peel.
Since I was outside, it may have been the humidity. Maybe.

Turned down the material knob and got stripes (almost dry areas).
And, orange peel.

There's definitely a learning curve, but I thought I was over the top
(still learning, but having a decent grasp). Hah!

One specific question beyond combating the orange peel and application
techniques - is there any difference in technique between a water
based lacquer and solvent based?

Anyway, I decided I got nothing to lose to ask y'all for any (more)
tips, tricks, etc. Plan to experiment some more to finesse the
technique, but, any further advice, knowledge, etc. from folks who've
been doing this a heck of a lot longer than myself would be
appreciated.

Thanx
Renata