Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Removing rust stains in toilet

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:20:45 -0700, "
wrote:

I had unbelievable stains in a toilet that I coudn't get out with
chemicals. After trying several different things (CLR, Rust-Out,
etc.), I went at it with a pumice stone, figuring I would ruin the
porcelain and need to replace the toilet. I removed the stains
(probably significnatly "loosened" chemically) and had no visible
damage to the toilet. I was very gentle with the pumice stone, and
the rust seemed to just come right off.

My solution was to first scrape crisscross lines into the stain using
a fork or something similar. Then I use fine wet and dry sandpaper to
abrade off the stain. If the sandpaper is fine enough it will
"polish" the ceramic surface. The initial scraping gives the
sandpaper something to "bite" on. I don't have enough strength to
scratch the ceramic surface with the fork.