Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Coby Dan Coby is offline

Default Newbie questions about adjusting a Stanley plane

"alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
4: I was trying to prep some 5/4 wood which was wider then my 6"
jointer. So I thought I'd run it through the planner instead. The
pieces were about 8" x 20". The wood was not flat so I tried to use my
hand planes to flatten one side. I was not getting satisfactory
results with my Stanely 4 or 5. I don't have a scrub plane but would
that have been the correct one to use in this situation?

Since you have a planer, you can use a planer sled to flatten the first
side of your stock: See:

http://books.google.com/books?id=QAD...di3Q0#PPA20,M1

While looking for a URL for a planer sled, I also came across this scheme
which uses a router.

http://www.leestyron.com/sled.php