Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Need tips on single point threading

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:46:23 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Wes wrote:

Well, it is once again time for me to use an engine lathe to single point
thread. It seems to be something I do every couple years so I've never
realy mastered it.

I'm restoring a Clausing 6903 lathe that uses a varidrive.

The driven sheave has a crack in it.
http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/6...it_a_crack.JPG

My bud tried to gas weld it with cast iron rod but it wouldn't close.

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/6903_gas_welding.JPG

Not much of a picture, cell phone camera though a welding helmet.

So then we tried brazing.

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/6...rning_down.JPG
http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/6...wn_brazing.JPG

It looks like the crack filled but since gas welding didn't work I don't
feel like trusting it. There could be dirty metal in crack. So plan #2
forms.

I'll replace the hub by turning it off, boring and threading sheave for a
1045 steel hub followed by loctiting with 271 and driving two pins in mating
diameter.

Here is a drawing.

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/C...ave_repair.pdf

So last night I took a practice pass at threading to get my brain
configured. Compound at 29 degrees, crossfeed set at 0, infeed with
compound, hand on halfnut lever and pulling out and pulling up on lever at