Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.mac.system

Default Question: Registry Edit Programs

Robert Harvey wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:02:35 +0000, Eric P. Peterson wrote:
(Who still believes WIN NT4 SP5 was the best OS that M$ ever produced)

In the sense of "least worst", I suppose.
W2K was quite reliable. Which is a good thing 'cos the US navy runs
warships on it. I still worry about whether it was reliable enough.

I unforget seeing a missile targetting system, built with Ferranti's
silicon on Sapphire chips, which ran a small multi-tasking kernel based on
BSD *nix. The uptime when the ship came in for refit was 1200 days. The
vessel had taken commission 1190 days before.

well that must have been better than the one I worked on in 1967..where
some smart alec did a calculation and worked out that the missile
failsafe would detonate it just 300 ms after launch BEFORE it got into
the beam it was supposed to 'ride'..with an uptime of just 300ms.

It finally became Sea Wolf, and did shoot down an Exocet, so I suppose
they must have modified the code..;-)