Posted to rec.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default Itty bitty lathe

Hey Bill,
I did look for the Dremel model a few months ago. I too found it
unavailable.
It looked like a great idea and I even found one on Ebay, but it went for
enough money that a better quality mini lathe could have been bought for the
same price.

Kate

"willshak" wrote in message
on 8/19/2007 5:04 AM Kate said the following:
On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made from a
sewing machine motor with a foot pedal control.
Do any of you have an idea how something like that could be made, or
perhaps
a link to a layout?

I like making little things, cribbage pegs for instance, sometimes little
things not any longer than say seven inches.

Any ideas or suggestions or idiot (spell that b.l.o.n.d.e) proof
instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Dremel used to make a mini Moto-Lathe 700. I still have one from when I
made doll house furniture some 20 years ago. Searching on the Dremel
site for 'lathe', I get no results, so I guess they don't make them anymore.
If you want to buy one, rather than build one for small work, Harbor
Freight sells one for $170
From the HF picture, it looks more sturdy than my Dremel, which has no
cast pieces at all, other than the plastic.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY