Posted to rec.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default Itty bitty lathe

Thanks Todd..
I have been looking at all of these replies and see that there is definitely
an easier way.
You're absolutely right.

Kate

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
"Kate" wrote in message
.. .
On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made from a
sewing machine motor with a foot pedal control.
Do any of you have an idea how something like that could be made, or
perhaps
a link to a layout?

I like making little things, cribbage pegs for instance, sometimes little
things not any longer than say seven inches.

Any ideas or suggestions or idiot (spell that b.l.o.n.d.e) proof
instructions would be greatly appreciated!

--
Kate
______

The shortest distance between two points,
can be a lot more fun in a Jeep!

I'm sure you could put something together with a sewing machine motor.
IMHO, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can buy a used mini lathe or
pen lathe for less than $100. I see them come up on Craigslist frequently
around here and there's always eBay. Unless you were only interested in
faceplate turning, there's going to be a lot more hardware required for a
lathe with a tailstock, headstock, bed, etc and if I was in the market for
such a machine, I wouldn't consider building it. Now, if your goal is to
build a small lathe rather than have a small lathe, by all means build it.
I'm sure someone here or in the woodturning group can point you in the right
direction.

todd