Posted to rec.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default Itty bitty lathe

Ya know...
That might be a good start.
I could let my grandson learn on it, I think he might really get a kick out
of it.

I saw one in the Rockler catalog for under $200 that looked like a good idea
too.

Thanks for your help.

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Kate" wrote in
:

On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made
from a sewing machine motor with a foot pedal control.
Do any of you have an idea how something like that could be made, or
perhaps a link to a layout?

I like making little things, cribbage pegs for instance, sometimes
little things not any longer than say seven inches.

Any ideas or suggestions or idiot (spell that b.l.o.n.d.e) proof
instructions would be greatly appreciated!

If you care to spend about $20 on a toy, there's a "Real Power Tool" set
out there. The wood and lathe are nice, but the rest is worthless.
(Although, I have used the disc sander to sharpen the lathe tools.) It
works pretty well as long as you don't ask the lathe to do more than it's
designed for.

I found mine at KB Toys.

Here's a site that describes the set:
http://www.smarter.com/real_power_to...pi-384186.html

Caution: Turning is addictive. If you get hooked because of this kid's
toy, it's not my fault!

Puckdropper