Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default washing m/c hot fill inefficient given long pipe runs?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:54:14 +0100 someone who may be Si
$3o&m wrote this:-

To clear more space in our kitchen I'm moving the washing machine into
the lean-to. The lean-to already has a cold water supply.

I've always used hot and cold fill but I'm thinking that because the
gas-heated water comes from the hot water tank upstairs and is heated by
the boiler downstairs, the long pipe runs probably make this an
unnecessary & inefficient option given that modern washing machines use
so little water for the washing cycles anyway.

It depends on usage patterns, system design and how well insulated
the hot water pipes are.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh