Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default Air conditioner comes on for 10 seconds or so and kicks back off again, any ideas?

Mike wrote:
Hi everyone.

I have a central air conditioning unit in my ranch-style home (full
basement also). Yesterday the AC just kicked off randomly. I checked
the thermostat and it seemed to be functioning ok (it's digital). I
went downstairs to the power switch dedicated to the central air unit
and turned it off, then back on again. The AC kicked back on, stayed
on and started blowing cool air, then kicked back off again 2 minutes
later.

I suspected there was an airflow problem of some type (filter, etc)
but that doesn't appear to be case, at least not as far as I can
tell.

Are there any other common causes for this type of behavior?

Thank you for any responses,
Mike

When you say that you turned off the power switch, are you talking about the
120-volt toggle switch?

If that is all you did, you had to have reset something and it could be a
number of things. Your thermostat, safety control or control board. Your
best bet is call out your HVAC company to have them check pout your system.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician